Restaurants and foodservice facilities are held to a high standard of cleanliness. And rightly so: food safety and customer satisfaction are at stake. Health department requirements make it clear how clean floors need to be, but getting them spotless is up to business owners. Cleanliness is also important for safety. Foodservice floors can easily become unsafe from grease, spilled ingredients and other hazards. A proper cleaning regimen will keep your foodservice floor clean, hygienic and safe.
Using effective bulk cleaning products to maintain your foodservice floors is essential. Using them properly is even more important. Use this list of tips as a guideline for maintaining a clean and safe foodservice floor:
- Make sure floor drains are clear and in proper working order before cleaning food service floors. Clogged or dirty drains should be addressed before you put them to use with water and other cleaning products.
- Seal food ceramic service floors with low or anti-slip coating. This type of coating fosters proper sanitation and reduces accidents.
- All floors in food service spaces should be cleaned before food handling and processing equipment is cleaned. Soil, debris and other contaminants can land on workstations and equipment when floors are being cleaned.
- Clean or change mops and mop buckets on a daily basis. Dirty mops and buckets are breeding grounds for bacteria and other germs. Using dirty mops and buckets will effectively spread contaminants across the foodservice floor, making your food preparation space dirtier than it was before.
- A long-handled squeegee can be used to usher wetness and moisture into floor drains to speed up drying time. Puddles or standing water can also become safety concerns if left standing in high-traffic areas.
- Use a floor buffer at least weekly to aid in the removal of dirt, grease, and oil on foodservice floors. Smaller machines are better for cleaning around counters and cooking areas in kitchens with hard-to-reach areas.
- Store mops, buckets, squeegees, chemicals, and all other floor care equipment on rack and shelves that are off the ground. Keeping them up will help them stay clean and will prevent pests from gathering in or on them.
National Purity supplies a full line of bulk cleaning products for the food service industry. Our family-owned company has been supplying high quality and effective cleaning products for nearly 90 years. Contact one of our representatives today to discuss your foodservice cleaning needs and to determine which National Purity products are right for you.
“Image Credit: wikimedia.org“