Unfortunately, many of today’s commercial cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that have been linked to a variety of health conditions such as an increased risk of allergies, respiratory diseases, reproductive problems and even cancer.
By choosing green commercial cleaning products and supplies, you are reducing the risk of exposure to harmful chemicals and abrasive products.
Are Green Commercial Cleaning Products More Expensive?
Though many fear that green cleaning products will increase costs, they may actually reduce costs (especially on a large scale) in the long run. This is because many concentrated forms of commercial cleaning supplies require additional steps and safeguards for proper disposal.
By purchasing less hazardous cleaners, you may actually reduce or eliminate costs associated with disposing hazardous chemicals.
5 Tips for Choosing Green Cleaning Supplies
From equipment, to cleaning procedures to products, green sanitation involves a lot of consideration. If you’re thinking about going green, check out the tips below.
- Don’t buy products that contain harmful chemicals such as ammonia or chlorine. These chemicals can comprise air quality and irritate the eyes, nose or throat. These products are also very toxic. Too much exposure can be deadly.
- When it comes to vacuuming, choosing a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) vacuum will minimize the effects of allergens and other airborne pollutants.
- All purpose and surface cleaners should contain plant-based solvents.
- Avoid green products that fail to disclose a list of ingredients on the product label. Always choose products you can trust.
- Products should be pH neutral (7.0), which is safer for both the environment and people. Alkaline or acidic products may burn your skin.